Fungi Forays, Hedgerow Herbals, Wild Edibles, Natural Medicines, Ethnobotany…
Join me for a day of wild food foraging at my home and environs in Co. Offaly or at Crann Og Eco Farm in Co. Galway. Or propose your own foraging day !
Humanity has been foraging food as long as it has existed. This has for the most part consisted of collecting naturally occuring green leaves, flowers, berries, nuts, mushrooms and roots. The benefits of collecting and eating wild food are many. Foraged food is healthy, tastes fantastic, and is a joy to collect! If done correctly it is also ecologically sustainable and is an interactive and immersive experience. When something grows in a natural environment – without being artificially fertilized, watered and weeded – it has to battle for its place in an ecosystem and thus usually produces more micronutrients than farmed produce. It is typically more potent, restorative and in some cases medicinal.
Your Forage Guide
I am Wild Food Mary, expert forager, chef, organic food enthusiast and author. I also produce a select range of fine natural products and have many recipes to share and recommend. With a life time of experience I lead a highly informative, yet friendly and relaxed workshop with lots of great craic! You may have seen me on tv on RTÉ in Dermot’s Secret Garden and Lords and Ladles. I pop up in the newspaper from time to time too and have been recognised by Fáilte Ireland as a Quality Unique Food experience in Ireland’s Ancient East. My Wild Damson Liqueur was awarded 2 Gold Stars by Great Taste in 2014.
A Typical Forage Day
You will meet other wild food enthusiasts from different walks of life. In the morning we all gather at 9:45am, aiming to make a start at 10am after meeting each other over a cuppa. Then I will lead the group on a forage, first within the grounds and then extending into surrounding woodlands, hedgerows and anywhere else we can discover hidden treasures. Once you see just how much is to be found, be sure you will have the foraging bug and those primal instincts will kick in! You’ll then be surprised, if not astonished, at just how much food is growing all around you and your new found interest in foraging.
Reviews by Workshop Participants
Very interesting workshop, lots to learn still, and would be interested to do more workshops!
Loved the workshop! Best few quid I’ve spent in a long time. Mary is a wealth of information.
I had a fabulous day. Very interesting and hands on experience. I will be back again.
What a fabulous way to spend a Saturday! It was my first time foraging and will not only do again, but highly recommend!
Amazing day – wonderful way to spend a weekend. Delicious food and great company.
It was truly awe inspiring to learn of the wealth of resources growing all around us. Thank you!
Beautiful autumn walk and my mushrooming journey has begun!
Some More Reviews
Dates & Price
Price: €65 per person.
- March 10th – Crann Og Eco Farm Galway
- March 11th – Clareen, Co. Offaly
- May 12th – Crann Og Eco Farm
- May 13th – Clareen, Co. Offaly
- September 22nd – Crann Og Eco Farm
- September 23rd – Clareen, Co. Offaly
- October 13th – Crann Og Eco Farm
- October 14th – Clareen, Co. Offaly
- Tuition and guided foraging walks lead by me, Wild Food Mary.
- Tasty meal incorporating foraged foods and other natural and organic ingredients and dishes provided to compliment the season.
- Refreshments and nibblies.
- All of the ancient knowledge I can impart to the group in the course of the day, plenty of good company and great craic!
- Also available to purchase are my fine goods and bespoke liqueurs!
What to Bring
- Something to put your foraged food into is a must…like a bag or basket.
- Sturdy footwear, preferably waterproof and suitable clothing for rambling about the grounds and woods.
- Additional warm and wet weather clothing is highly recommended.
- House shoes or slippers for when we retire to the house.
- Notebook, camera & water bottle.
Book & Pay Here
You can add multiple places in the checkout window !
Be In The Know