Fungi Forays, Hedgerow Herbals, Wild Edibles, Natural Medicines, Ethnobotany…
Join me for a day of wild food foraging at my home and environs in County Offaly, or organise a foraging day with me elsewhere!
Humanity has been foraging food as long as we have existed. This has for the most part consisted of collecting naturally occuring green leaves, flowers, berries, nuts, mushrooms and roots. The benefits of collecting and eating wild food are many. Foraged food is healthy, tastes fantastic, and is a joy to collect! If done correctly it is also ecologically sustainable and is an interactive and immersive experience. When something grows in a natural environment – without being artificially fertilized, watered and weeded – it has to battle for its place in an ecosystem and thus usually produces more micronutrients than farmed produce. It is typically more potent, restorative and in some cases medicinal.
I am Wild Food Mary, expert forager, chef, organic food enthusiast and author. I also produce a select range of fine natural products and have many recipes to share and recommend. With a lifetime of experience I lead a highly informative, yet friendly and relaxed workshop with lots of great craic! You may have seen me on tv on RTÉ in Dermot’s Secret Garden and Lords and Ladles. I pop up in the newspaper from time to time too, and have been recognised by Fáilte Ireland as a Quality Unique Food experience in Ireland’s Ancient East. My Wild Damson Liqueur was awarded 2 Gold Stars by Great Taste of London in 2014.
Reviews by workshop participants:
Dates & Price
Price: €65 per person.
- March 20th: Clareen, Co Offaly
- June 13th: Clareen, Co Offaly
- September 26th: Clareen, Co Offaly
- MORE DATES TBC…
Now also taking bookings of up to 12 people for covid-safe forage lunches.
[Dependent on current restrictions – contact me for details.]
- Tuition and guided foraging walks lead by me, Wild Food Mary.
- Tasty meal incorporating foraged foods and other natural and organic ingredients and dishes provided to compliment the season.
- Refreshments and nibbles.
- All of the ancient knowledge I can impart to the group in the course of the day, plenty of good company and great craic!
- Also available to purchase are my fine goods and bespoke liqueurs!
What to Bring
- Notebook, camera & water bottle.
- Sturdy footwear, preferably waterproof and suitable clothing for rambling about the grounds and woods.