Fungi Forays, Hedgerow Herbals, Wild Edibles, Natural Medicines, Ethnobotany…
Join me for a day of wild food foraging at my home and environs in County Offaly, or organise a foraging day with me elsewhere!
Humans have been foraging food as long as we have existed. This has for the most part consisted of collecting naturally occuring green leaves, flowers, berries, nuts, mushrooms and roots. The benefits of collecting and eating wild food are many. Foraged food is healthy, tastes fantastic, and is a joy to collect! If done correctly it is also ecologically sustainable and is an interactive and immersive experience. When something grows in a natural environment – without being artificially fertilized, watered and weeded – it has to battle for its place in an ecosystem and thus usually produces more micronutrients than farmed produce. It is typically more potent, restorative and in some cases medicinal.
I am Wild Food Mary, expert forager, chef, organic food enthusiast and author. I also produce a select range of fine natural products and have many recipes to share and recommend. With a lifetime of experience I lead a highly informative, yet friendly and relaxed workshop with lots of great craic! You may have seen me on tv on RTÉ in Dermot’s Secret Garden and Lords and Ladles. I pop up in the newspaper from time to time too, and have been recognised by Fáilte Ireland as a Quality Unique Food experience in Ireland’s Ancient East. My Wild Damson Liqueur was awarded 2 Gold Stars by Great Taste of London in 2014.
You will meet other wild food enthusiasts from different walks of life. In the morning we all gather at 10am, aiming to make a start at 10;20 after meeting each other over a cuppa. Then I will lead the group on a forage, first within the grounds and then extending into surrounding woodlands, hedgerows and anywhere else we can discover hidden treasures. Once you see just how much is to be found, be sure you will have the foraging bug and those primal instincts will kick in! You’ll then be surprised, if not astonished, at just how much food is growing all around you and your new found interest in foraging.
Reviews by workshop participants:
Dates & Price
Price: €65 per person.
- Sat May 28th, AFTERNOON 3p.m.to 7p.m.: Co Offaly
- Sunday June 26th:Co.Offaly
- Mon August 1st (bank holl) Co Offaly
- Sunday Oct 2nd: Ballintubbert house
- Sat Oct 22nd :Offaly
- Sun Oct 23rd: Offaly
N.B. please note,
booking must be made directly with Mary, please email email@example.com text to 087/7418536 with your date of choice and name and she will call you back. If you hold a gift voucher you must still book, thank you.
- Tuition and guided foraging walks lead by me, Wild Food Mary.
- Tasty meal incorporating foraged foods and other natural and organic ingredients and dishes provided to compliment the season.
- Refreshments and nibbles.
- All of the ancient knowledge I can impart to the group in the course of the day, plenty of good company.
- Also available to purchase are my fine goods and bespoke liqueurs!
What to Bring
- Notebook, camera & water bottle.
- Sturdy footwear, preferably waterproof and suitable clothing for rambling about the grounds and woods.